Colored Mascara – best pink, green, blue mascara for enhancing eye color
Resurfacing from 80s eye makeup trends, colored mascara may not be a new product, but it’s most definitely enjoying a comeback. The hype began with designers sending models wearing bold pink and blue mascara down the runways and soon enough, magazines were flooded with top picks of the best colored mascaras out there.
Now, with this beauties available in practically every color imaginable, makeup junkies can really make the trend their own. Plus, just as colored eyeliner can do wonders for your eyes, brightening and enhancing your eye color, so can these mascaras flatter specific eye colors, making the color more vibrant.
To help you figure out which colored mascaras work best for you, I’ve put together a list of the best pink, purple, green and blue mascaras out there. In this post I’m going to tell you more about finding the right mascara to enhance your eye color, share some of my favorite products available and teach you how to make your own mascara, in whichever color you like. Here are the choices available at some of our favorite brands:
- Best Blue Mascara
- Top Green Mascara
- Purple Mascara Picks
- Favorite Pink Mascara
- Metallic & Glitter Mascara
Which is best for your eye color?
When choosing the right colored mascara for your eye color, the basic principle is to go with complementary colors and tones that are barely noticeable, but have a big impact on your overall look. Purple, navy, green and burgundy pair well with most eye colors and intensify your eyes as much as a black/brown mascara would.
If you want to exercise the trend in a statement kind of way, I suggest you try out turquoise mascara or bright pink shades, yellow hues or metallic accents, curtsey of glitter mascaras.
Purple and pink mascaras are great for bringing out green eyes, while green mascara is perfect for bringing out the violet in blue eyes. If you are looking for the perfect colored mascara for blue eyes, that will compliment your eye color, shades of cooper and bronze are perfect for you.
The best colored mascara for hazel eyes is green, as it will bring out the flecks of color that you already have. Girls with brown eyes will look gorgeous with any color, but they can really rock tones like purple and blue mascara.
Best Blue Mascara
Colored mascara is a great way to compliment your eye color and really make your eyes pop. The easiest way to make a statement is to go for a blue mascara.
As you might suspect, this shade flatters every eye color and brightens your eyes like no other color. The blue brightens the whites of the eyes and makes any color eye more vibrant.
You can choose from navy and midnight blue hues if you want to bring out your green or blue eye color, go for a cobalt blue mascara if you have brown eyes or try a teal turquoise mascara with a touch of green in it to flatter your hazel eyes.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Hypercolor Brow and Lash Tint in Electric Blue
- Chanel Inimitable Waterproof in Blue Note & Aqua Blue
- Dior Diorshow Mascara in Azure Blue & Electric Blue
- Maybelline Great Lash Washable Mascara in Royal Blue & I See Blue
- Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash in 5
- BareMinerals Remix Collection Flawless Definition Mascara in Aqua
- Diorshow Iconic Overcurl Mascara in Over Blue
- NYX Color Mascara in Blue
- MAC False Lashes in Blue Charge
Please be sure to check out the color pay off on each mascara and order your favorite picks online
Green Colored Mascara for hazel eyes
Green mascara is available in enough shades to work well for a daytime look or a night out. I recommended moss green for blue eyes and a brighter emerald shade for brown eyes. Pair the mascara with a liner that’s a shade darker than the lashes to emphasize the eyes even more.
Green colored mascara is the best option for hazel eyes, as this shade will bring out flecks of green and yellow in your eyes.
- YSL Volume Effet Faux Cils in Green Emerald
- Chanel Inimitable Waterproof in Lime Light
- Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash in 4
- Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Mascara Duo in Glam Green Eyes
- Maybelline Great Lash Mascara in Green With Envy & Teal Appeal
You can view product pictures and reviews from other users on your favorite mascara, as well as order a green mascara online
Purple Mascara for brown eyes
The easiest way to give the colored mascara trend a try is by using a purple mascara, as darker shades of plum, berry or burgundy offer the intensity of black mascara with an extra oomph. It’s more of a daytime-appropriate look, since it’s only really noticeable in the sunlight.
Purple mascaras are most popular, since they look equally great on green, blue, brown or hazel eyes.
- Givenchy Noir Couture 4 in 1 Waterproof Mascara in Purple Velvet
- Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash in 6
- MAC False Lashes Mascara in Plum Reverse
- YSL Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils in Fascinating Violet & Burgundy
- NYX Color Mascara in Purple
- Maybelline Great Lash Mascara in So Very Berry & Vision in Violet
- Estee Lauder Sumptuous Extreme Volume Mascara in Violet
Purple mascara is a very popular choice and one that works well both for daytime and nighttime use. Order yours online from here
Top Pink Mascara
Although his vibrant hue is not for everyday use, ever since we saw it on the runway, we can’t get enough. Flattering especially to green eyes, pink mascara is a cool and unique way to make the most natural makeup stand out.
- Hard Candy Lash Tinsel Glitter Mascara in Seventeen’s a Dream
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Hypercolor Brow and Lash Tint in In the Pink
- Maybelline Great Lash Mascara in Wink of Pink
- DiorAddict It-Lash in It-Pink
Pink mascara is a cute and fun way to make a statement with your makeup. If you’ve fallen in love with one of my top picks, you can order it online from here.
Colored Mascara for Blue Eyes – bronze, gold & silver mascaras
Although silver, bronze and gold mascaras may seem outrageous, these babies have made a comeback as accents especially during the winter holiday season. Pair the look with metallic eye shadow and apply it only to the tips of the lashes and you can pull of the look all year round, for parties and clubs.
Even though these shades are a universally compatible option for any eye color, bronze, gold and silver mascaras make blue eyes really stand out.
- YSL Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils Shocking in Bronze Black
- Sephora Collection Glitter Eyeliner and Mascara in Sunset Copper & Sunset Gold & VIP Gold
- Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Mascara Duo in Glam Brown Eyes & Glam Hazel Eyes
- Hard Candy Lash Tinsel Glitter Mascara in Gold Digger
- The Body Shop Black & Gold Glitter Mascara
Although a more glamorous choice, the metallic eyelash trend has grown substantially over the past year. If you would like to see the product picture and read official reviews, you can access this page and order a metallic mascara online
Colored mascaras show really well if you have lighter hair, as the color payoff is more true to tone. This will, in turn, provide a bold look, so you can pair your statement lashes with minimal eye makeup.
One important aspect that most women with blonde or light brown lashes overlook is that without the right technique, you won’t be able to apply mascara evenly on the lashes. Use a zig-zag motion to coat your lashes from base to tip with your mascara applicator and place some product on a small fan brush to coat the base of the lashes better. Don’t forget to use a comb brush to separate your eyelashes for a modern look.
If you have darker hair, then you’ll probably benefit from a subtle hue of color, that will brighten up and enhance your eye color, revealing golden flecks for brown eyes, or green, blue or gray sparks for those with green or blue eyes.
Colored mascaras will show up much better on lashes that aren’t jet black, so I suggest using a white primer first if yours are too dark to help amplify the color. Wait for the primer to dry first, comb the lashes and then use your favorite colored mascara.
Make Your Own Colored Mascara
In case you don’t find your favorite shade available on the market, you may very well make your own colored mascara. As opposed to other DIY makeup recipes out there, that involve baking, melting oils and weird ingredients, achieving your own, signature blue mascara, or any color for that matter, is incredibly simple.
All you need is a pure pigment eye shadow in the color of your choice and a clear mascara like Maybelline Great Lash Mascara in Clear. You can get this at just about any drugstore like Target or Walgreens and use any intense pigments from your brand of choice. My favorite are MAC, MUFE and Inglot pigments.
Simply place a small amount of pigment on a makeup mixing palette or an ordinary foil and dip the mascara wand saturated in clear gel, mixing to spread the pigment evenly and achieve a colored paste. Behold your new and original colored mascara!
Apply to lashes the same as you would apply your favorite black or brown mascara. This method of creating your own mascara is not only fun and innovative, but can allow you to mix and match shades of mascara to your eyeliner or a nude makeup, without purchasing a ton of colored mascaras when you grow tired of just one shade. Play with makeup and have fun, I always say!
Wear the Trend
There are many ways to wear colored mascara without looking overdone. When venturing into the world of bright and poppy mascaras, one thing you should keep in mind is a choosing a minimal, neutral and simple makeup for your eyes and face.
That means no harsh blush and no rainbows on the lids.If you’re using a bright shade, keep the rest of your eye look nude or use just a hint of smudged eyeliner between the lash roots to add extra definition. Let the colored mascara be the central point of your makeup and simply add a soft, natural lip color.
Here are a few fun ways to wear the trend, whether you want just a wash of color or a statement look:
- On the lower lashes – Apply your usual black mascara to the upper lashes and apply a colored mascara that flatter your eye color on the bottom ones for a subtle and fun pop of color;
- On the tips of the lashes – Apply black mascara to the roots of your lashes and switch to a colored mascara to accent the tips of your lashes and add a flash of your favorite color, visible only when you blink;
- On the base of the lashes – Today, it feels like it’s all about the bass, as Meghan Trainer keeps reminding us. Reverse the technique mentioned above and simply apply black mascara to coat all your lashes, then add the colored mascara to the base of the lashes for that pop of color;
- On the inner corner lashes – Remember the technique Marilyn Monroe used to brighten the whites of the eyes? If you don’t, there’s no shame in revisiting the makeup tutorial on the Marilyn makeup. Just as she used red to brighten her eyes, we can use color theory to brighten ours, by placing blue mascara on top of our black mascara, on the inner corner lashes. Try it!
- Colored Eyeliner & Mascara – Why not pair a colored eyeliner and clash it with a colored mascara? I love the blue eyeliner and teal mascara combo, as well as green & pink.
- Statement look – Apply your colored mascara on the top and lower lashes to create a bold, statement look. Choose a shade that will compliment your eye color and keep the rest of your makeup minimal and neutral;
- Poolside look – Let’s face it! Colored mascara is more popular during the summer. Paired with sunscreen, BB or CC cream and not much else, colored mascara that’s waterproof is the perfect makeup option for a pool party;
- Monochromatic look – If you feel your eye makeup needs more definition than simply using colored mascara on your lashes, you can still color clash by using a sheer version of the mascara color as an eyeshadow. Cream eyeshadow in the same color family look also great, just avoid the 80s look by making it an exact match.
With that in mind, I think we’ve covered everything there is to know about this statement look. As long as I’ve helped you choose a shade that compliments your eye color and makes you stand out, my work is done. Please share other ideas on how to wear colored mascara in the comments and tell me which is your favorite purple, pink, green or blue mascara.